Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just Keep Pulling, Just Keep Pulling....



For those of you with small kids, you'll understand the title to this piece when you think of Dory the forgetful fish in "Finding Nemo" when she sweetly sings the words...."Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming" to her friend Marlin as they meander through the giant ocean. Well late this summer I got to experience a different ocean and speed as I got a chance to demo Cessna's newest work "horse", the venerable Mustang! Instead of simply swimming through the sky we were SCREAMING through the waves, and as the demo pilot patiently watched me blow through rotation speed and climbout speed he gently sang to me "Just keep pulling, Just keep pulling".

I have flown lots of piston powered birds, and up until a few months ago I'd never been introduced to turbine power save the Otter I piloted a few times. This was all new to me, and as I did the preflight around the Mustang one word came to mind...FAST!

The Mustang is a handsome plane, even sitting on the ramp it looks clean and efficient. The preflight was remarkably simple and logical with access panels easy to view and reach. After a quick discussion about V speeds and emergency procedures we were all aboard and ready for a quick jaunt over to Bar Harbor and back to Waterville. Start up was REALLY simple with a quick push of a button and advance of the throttle we simply watched warning lights disappear and trusted that the low hum coming from the rear of the airplance was all we needed. Spooling up the jets took a little getting used to as once you're rolling you can quickly ease up on the throttles as it's about overcoming inertia. As we taxied for Runway 23 we did the final checks and after a takeoff briefing we were rolling QUICKLY southbound. The airspeeds were flying by fast and before I knew it we were climbing out fast and with lots of airspeed to boot. Just keep pulling, just keep pulling...

The airplane was remarkably easy to fly (assuming you have a calm demo pilot next to you who is helping with the speeds and power settings), but the pilot has a sense early on that with proper training and discipline this would be an easy and capable bird to master. Before no time we were over the coast and what a great view we had. I was reminded of how big a turning radius such a beast requires as we headed back to Waterville for the approach. Regrettably I turned the controls over to my friend and business partner, Klaus, who did the approach and landing (with much finesse I might add), while I got to experience being a passenger in the comfy and quiet cabin. I can see how this could be an easy way to move about the country!

Taxiing in I felt a sense of accomplishment and can see the market that Cessna was going after. I think they will succeed as this plane is sharp, simple, fast, capable and economical (assuming you've 2.8 million and a big tank of Jet A). In the end it was a blast to fly and a real mileston in my humble career as an aviator. You wouldn't want to kid around in owning or operating a jet like this, and the checkout and insurance requirements will make sure you're a believer in these premises. But at the same time I was also reminded that this fast, sleek, new jet is still simply an airplane that like every other one produces lift, drag, joy and excitement and I am lucky to have experienced it.

No comments: